I believed and I felt. I felt and I knew. I knew and I saw.
~ myself

Friday, January 7, 2011

Life's Great Irony

One of the greatest ironies of mortal life, I believe, is the idea that allowing a child to struggle through a challenge largely on their own demonstrates great love. I am not a mother, but as a teacher, there have been times when it would be so much easier for my student, and definitely for myself (because the whining would be quickly dissolved), if I would just tell the child the answer, or solve their problems with friends for them. There have been times when my inner voice was yelling at me, "No! Don't do it!" This happened just a couple of weeks ago, in fact, when a child had deservedly lost a privilege and I almost stepped in and said, "Ok, I will give you one more chance." The problem is that she had already had so many chances all year long to check her behavior. Today, I am so glad that I stood back, and held strong, because I love her. Why? Because she is a different little girl now. Sure, she cried (and I cried too) at the loss of the privilege- but she learned some very valuable things and, as of this week, she is a much better student.
Understanding this irony, even just a little bit, helps me to understand how much God loves me by letting me struggle, fight, trudge, crawl, and fall throughout life. I have learned many valuable lessons and become a stronger person because he didn't jump in and rescue me out of my trials.


These photos I recently took of my nephew reminded me of this beautiful irony.

A.Rogers Dec.2010
"There are no such things as limits to growth, because there are no limits to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder."
~Ronald Reagan

A.Rogers Dec.2010


 
A.Rogers Dec.2010
"Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go."
~William Feather

A.Rogers Dec.2010
"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 comments: