I believed and I felt. I felt and I knew. I knew and I saw.
~ myself

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Concrete poems- part 1

At the end of the last language arts unit, which was on Amazing Animals, we started a project, which we have not had much time to work on. Since we started our end of year testing this week and things are pretty stressful and chaotic, I thought it would be a good time to get going on them. We are working on concrete poems, which are poems where the writing of the words form the picture, or are part of the picture. The first thing we are doing is creating our "3D" pictures for inspiration. And there are rules!

1. No pencils, crayons, or other writing tools allowed for sketching. You must use your artistic eye to see the image in pieces, or individual shapes.

2. Make the picture simple and clear.

3. Make the animal the main focus of the picture. If you put flowers, trees, etc, make them complementary.

4. The animal must be large and fill the space.

5. Plan where you are going to write the poem. Which part of the picture will become the poem?

6. What is special about your animal that you want to write your poem about? Make that trait noticeable in the picture.

7. If you don't like how something is turning out, use your problem solving skills to fix it. There is no such thing as a mistake in art! Make something you don't like work for you.
Posted by Picasa

A. Rogers Apr. 2011
Photos arranged into collage using Picasa 3.8

I think they are amazing, don't you?
 Unfortunately, my cell phone pics are not that great.

5 comments:

  1. those are quite extraordinary! ;0D

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really did a great job. One class kind of had to start over a bit because this was the first time I did it and I was making it up. Well they weren't turning out very good, so with the other class, I showed some good and "needs work" examples and they did awesome. So we discussed it again with the first group and they started again and did awesome. I helped some of my low kids understand how to see shapes and guided them. So I helped with the orcas, the penguins, and the giraffe, but they really did all the art and they were shocked when they were done that they did such a great job! I hate when they say, "I can't make a giraffe!" Well, gee, maybe it looks hard, but can you make an oval? Can you make rectangle legs? Can you make round spots? Then you can make a giraffe! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. The little boy who made the penguins is adorable! He is ESL and Special Ed and when I glued his pieces together for the daddy penguin (far left) he looked at it. Paused. Laughed. And shouted, "hhahaha, he's chubby!" Heart melted! He kept saying, "They're so cute!" I wish you could have been here. He is such a cute kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite is the bee and the flower, I think. Girl had no help and it is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete