I believed and I felt. I felt and I knew. I knew and I saw.
~ myself

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Bucky Bed

Grandfather, Great Spirit, once more behold me on earth and lean to hear my feeble voice.
                                  ~ Black Elk


A. Rogers Sept. 2011

I added a heavy film grain to add a somewhat aged look
(and to hide a couple of small orbs).

My brother received a special wooden box when he was a young boy. My grandmother gave it to him after our grandfather, "Bucky," had died. He called it his "Bucky Box." He kept his special things in it.
Well, I call this my "Bucky Bed." I have always begged to be the lucky heir of this bed. It may not look very special, but to me it is. When I was little and we lived with Grandma, Mom used this bed. I remember snuggling with her as a child and thinking about how much I loved the four posts and the charming dark wood. I have been told that Bucky (born in 1930) received this bed from an uncle, or other relative, when he was approximately 5 years old. At that time, the bed was already quite old, perhaps 40-50 years old. So this bed has been around since the late 1800's (circa 1885).
I absolutely treasure this bed, as well as the chest of drawers, and the hanging mirror that I received with it. Every night I fall asleep thinking of my precious grandfather and how special he is in our family, and how I have a timeless piece of him to carry with me and pass down to my child.

No comments:

Post a Comment